Actions and solutions
- The solution is simple, regenerate Nature on Land and Marine life in the Oceans.
How do we regenerate nature?
- Stop habitat destruction, burning trees, destructive fish, clearance of seagrass, mangroves, wetlands, marsh lands……..
- Stop the pollution of water, soil and atmosphere with toxic for ever chemicals, especially lyophilic chemicals such as molecular plastic, PCBs, PBDE, Oxybenzone, pesticides, herbicides and 15,000 other chemicals.
- We must prevent toxic substances entering the environment, such as plastic, and black carbon soot from the burning of fossil fuels such as coal, and bunker fuel oil.
- Carbon mitigation is important, it will not stop climate change, but it will buy us time to regenerate nature.
- Regenerative agriculture must be practiced
How do we stop pollution?
- 80% of the world has no municipal wastewater treatment. Install aeration ditches or extended diffused aeration system with at least 10-day residence time. These systems can be constructed by local communities and are 1/50th to 1/100th of the cost of standard water treatment, and are far superior. https://www.goesfoundation.com/news/posts/2022/april/eden-cycle-system/
- Less than 10% of municipal wastewater treatment in high income countries is fitted with tertiary treatment to remove, plastic and toxic chemicals. This needs to be rectified. Water treatment systems should do no harm to the environment
- The shipping industry must use clean fuel and fit scrubbers that remove the carbon, PAHS and heavy metals without dumping them into the ocean or atmosphere.
- Stop fast fashion and toxic clothes
The above are the main headlines, many other things can be done to make a difference, but if we achieve the above by the end of the decade, we save Nature and we stop climate disruption.